Animal Breed Zip Code

Friday, November 26, 2004

Some History

I originally was going to have one kitten which was coming from a acquaintance of my parents who took care of a pregnant stray who gave birth to four kittens on May 17th. The person was not able to keep any of the kittens including the mother. They were raised on a porch of an old convent that was in the process of being rented. Despite being raised on a porch of a vacant house they had a steady stream of visitors so they were well socialized and friendly kittens. Homes were found for all the kittens including the mother by the simple method of word of mouth. I am glad to say that the mother cat has since been spayed so there won't be any more unplanned litters from her. I had the opportunity to visit the kittens a few time prior to picking her up. It was a joy playing with the litter My first visit with them was at 4 weeks of age.

I wasn't really looking kitten but the opportunity to get a kitten who needed a home overtook me. After being approved by the care giver I was able to take Arwen home. This is where things changed. One of the adopters had a trip planned to at the time the kittens had to go to there new homes. I was asked if I wanted to take two kittens home for a couple of weeks that the other owner was gong to be on vacation. I said "sure" in order to help out and it would be a good transition for my kitten to come home with a littermate.

I really enjoyed watching them play, chase, and sleep together. At the age of eight weeks they had the energy of I don't know what. They really focused their attention on each other. If I remember right that the two kittens were under my care for twelve days. I must admit that it was very difficult to let the other kitten go after two weeks but from the time I got her I new that she had a home waiting for her which made the process easier.

It seems that I missed the other kitten more than Arwen did though because from the time she was alone she did not call or look for her. She did grow much more attached to me after she was the only kitty. She would follow me around like a puppy chase my feet and attack my toes under the covers. Things were going very well and Arwen adjusted just fine. Though I must admit that I missed the interaction of the two of them. This set the stage for the addition a second kitten.

I left things as they were for about a month and a half when I had to travel for a four day business trip. As the trip was approaching I was thinking more and more that Arwen was going to be alone with only a visit a day for food and water and some play time. I began to feel guilty so I decided to get another kitten.

Off I went to the local MSPCA shelter just to see what they had. I had my mind made up that I would not adopt a kitten that day. Since it was still "kitten season" there were several kittens there. I looked and played with several before leaving. I went back the next day, again just to look (yea right). I must admit that I was surprised but all the kittens that were there the day before were gone! They did have a new selection though. To make matters even ironic the first kitten I looked as I walked into the door was a nine week old kitten that looked almost just like the one I babysat in July. Needless to say I made up my mind right then and there that this was the kitten for me. I did take the time to play with her and look at the others that were on display but I did not let her out of hands until I committed to adopting her. The last thing I wanted was to have some "stranger" take her home. After all she was my kitty. All I could think about was that Arwen would have a playmate that looks like it could be her sister.

I went to the desk and filled out the paperwork paid the adoption fee. This process took place on a Friday and would not be able to take her home until Tuesday to allow for her to be spayed.

Smokey (l) Arwen (r)


So this is the story of how Arwen and Smokey joined my family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home